Tonight will be night 2.5 of the big move to the big girl room. I call it Day 2.5 because we started Sunday night, unsuccessfully, with me doing Kayla's regular bedtime routine in her new room at 8 pm. By 10 pm, she was still wide awake and wouldn't stay in her toddler bed. I had to lay my head on the side of her bed and pretend I was "sleeping" with her in the bed in order to get her to stay in it. Not easy when you're only 3 weeks away from your due date. Finally, I said "Goodnight," and left her room to take a shower. Kayla got up immediately and cried and pounded on her bedroom door. After 10 minutes of this, George went upstairs (while I was showering), moved all of her stuff back in to the nursery and put Kayla in her crib. She was asleep within 10 minutes.
Monday night, I had a friend over so George was in charge of the whole bedtime routine and put Kayla in her crib. Once again, very little fuss and she was asleep within 10 minutes.
Last night (Tuesday) I decided to try again. We had the nighttime CD on, read our bedtime books and I put Kayla in her bed. Resistance. I pretend to lay down next to her in a very awkward and uncomfortable position. She is playing with a silicone spatula and empty container and banging them around while laying on her back. I drift in and out of sleep. Kayla's eyes start to get heavy.... I think she's asleep and slowly start to move into the upright sitting position and BAM! Her eyes fly open and she sits up too. We did this exchange for what seemed like FOREVER and my back, arms and neck are aching. By the time 11 pm rolls around Kayla is super fussy and starts making whining noises like, "Ehhh, ehhhh?" reaching for something or getting frustrated with her baby doll toy or blanket and I have no idea what it is that she wants. I tell her repeatedly that she is tired and needs to lay down and close her eyes. I've played her night time CD at least 3 times at this point. Patience is running very low. Finally at around midnight (I think, because I couldn't really see the clock in the dark without my glasses) she falls asleep in her bed. Oh so quietly I move onto the feather mattress and pillows I've got set up on the floor by her bed. Ahhh, sleep.
Overall, Kayla did pretty well. Most importantly, she did NOT accidentally fall out of the bed, although she did sleep in funny positions, but that is typical of her even in her crib. It doesn't help that Kayla has had a pretty bad cough since Friday night. I think she woke up and had some coughing fits throughout the night, but she didn't cry and fell back asleep pretty quickly I think (well, I was asleep so I don't think she coughed for that long). Then at around 6 am she coughed so much that she did not go back to sleep again. I called the pediatrician's office and made an appointment this morning to make sure there wasn't any fluid in her lungs... she's fine but we have a nebulizer on loan for about a week to help with the coughing!
So here it is, about 8 pm on Wednesday night and I am about to try the whole bedtime routine again... Thank goodness it's a short week at work (one big reason why I'm pushing it this week) because this is going to be rough. I hope Kayla gets it soon, in time for Baby #2's arrival! If not, Baby #2 will be in a pack and play in our bedroom for quite some time, until Kayla gets the whole toddler bed thing!!!
awwww kayla!!!! she'll get used to it, i suppose!!! wowie!
ReplyDelete