Practically one year after scoring an IKEA Hemnes twin bed frame off craigslist, we finally have Kayla sleeping in her big girl bed! It took me awhile to find a reasonable compromise on a "greener" mattress that wouldn't break the bank. George and I eventually decided to go with a foam mattress from IKEA (AKA our kids' favorite "restaurant"). I don't like the VOCs that traditional mattresses emit, or the chemicals manufacturers spray to meet flame-retardant requirements (thanks, California!). I would have loved to buy an all-natural, organic mattress but it just wasn't in our budget. After trying to do some research on IKEA mattresses, they supposedly use "safer" chemicals and always meet the toughest standards of whichever countries they sell their products. So, in my mind at least, I think that Europe has higher standards than the US and I therefore am getting some piece of mind that my children are not getting exposed to too many crazy chemicals while they sleep at night. Who knew that mattress shopping would be so stressful as a parent? Or am I driving myself nuts by being so cautious about these things?
Anyway, Kayla is excited about her bed. I purchased the owl bedding set at target and also got waterproof mattress covera (organic this time, as part of the compromise for not buying an organic matress) off amazon. Jocelyn will have to start sleeping in Kayla's old toddler bed, which means we potentially will have two little girls crawling in to our bed at night. This afternoon's nap time was a disaster. Jocelyn started off in Kayla's old room in the toddler bed, then wound up in the twin bed because she was "scared" and then they were giggling because Kayla was laying on Jocelyn's tummy and then Kayla was getting mad at Jocelyn for messing up her sheets. For now, they are sharing a room with Jocie still in her crib and Kayla in her twin bed. I'm afraid of what's going to happen at night when both are free to roam...
Good for you for being aware of VOCs! Too bad you couldn't get a green mattress but don't be too upset bc anyone can label themselves green and organic bc there's no regulation on it and everybody has a different standard for it. I'm sure IKEA has been doing better with their products. Good luck with both girls being free at night!
ReplyDeletePs do you see my comments??
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa! Yes, I do see your comments, thanks for always being so consistent! I am usually on my phone when I read the comments (I have it set to email me) and then I forget to log on later when I'm on my computer. :(
ReplyDeleteHehe, that's ok! As long as you've read them :)
Delete