For the past month or so, Kayla has been insisting that we call her “Baby Bear.”
Okay, I think I can deal with a name substitution for a little bit. A phase, right? Sometimes we’ll call her “Kayla,” and she reminds us sternly, “No, I’m Baby Bear!” (with an emphasis on Baby)! We've tried figuring out why she wants to be called Baby Bear. We’ve asked her, “Where’s Kayla? What happened to Kayla Jen Huang?” and she answers, “No, I’m Baby Bear!” in that same stern voice with a little bit of a lip pout. Sometimes she gets really angry that we've called her Kayla and yells until we say, "Okay, sorry, Baby Bear."
Then, she says that my name is “Mama Bear” or sometimes it's “Mommy Bear.” And George, of course, is “Daddy Bear.” But here’s where it gets confusing. You’d think that Jocelyn’s name would be “Jocie Bear” but it’s not. It is apparently “Kayla Bear.” We don’t get it. I don’t think Kayla does either, because she started slipping up a couple of days ago. She started to say, "Jocie Bear – I mean, Kayla Bear—". It was kind of funny. She corrects me if I refer to Jocelyn as "baby" and says, "No, she's Kayla Bear!!"
Kayla will sometimes say grace before dinner. Her prayer is the same each time and it goes like this:
Dear God,
Thank you for the food. Thank you for Mommy, Daddy, Jocie, Kayla and Libby. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Then we say, “Yay, great job, Kayla!” and Jocelyn happily claps because she knows we’re allowed to eat now.
Two days ago, Kayla’s prayer changed.
Dear God,
Thank you for the food. Thank you for Mommy, Daddy, Jocie, Kayla… uh… Baby Bear, Kayla Bear, Mama Bear, Daddy Bear, Libby Bear. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
hahaha...she seems so goofy...how cute. maybe she was watching berenstain bears somewhere...?
ReplyDeletewe've thought about that... she's never watched berenstain bears. but there is a cartoon on nick jr called "Little Bear" but i can't even remember the last time she watched that - maybe last year?? it's a big mystery.
ReplyDeletedoes she make other people besides family call her Baby Bear too? that girl is insanely cute. mind-boggling smart, and i miss her! (and Mommy Bear, and Daddy Bear, and Kayla Bear too!)
ReplyDeletemaybe some role reversal? she is baby and baby jocie is kayla. i love the "libby bear." so sweet.
ReplyDelete