Jocelyn came home on Sunday at around noonish. She screamed her head off the entire time we were being discharged from the hospital, wheeled down to the front lobby and was still crying as we were pulling out of the hospital parking lot. Since she's so tiny, we rolled up two baby blankets and put them on either side of her face in the carseat to prevent her head bopping around like Kayla's did the day we brought her home. As extra precaution, I sat next to Jocelyn in the back, wedged in a tiny space between the two (yes, TWO!!) carseats. (Sorry folks, I will never be able to give more than one adult a ride in my car from this point on!!) Once we were on the road, though, Jocelyn stopped crying and fell asleep... and kept sleeping for a good 2 hours after we got home, sitting there, comfy as could be in her carseat!
Kayla was very excited when George, Jocelyn and I arrived home. I am so thankful that God has given Kayla such a sweet, easy-going personality. So far, she has shown nothing but love and concern towards Jocelyn. We need to teach Kayla how to be a little more gentle with Jocelyn - right now she gives Jocelyn "hugs" by doing mini-head bops. George and I brought Jocelyn to her first doctor's appointment Monday morning, and of course, Jocelyn was crying as we were getting her strapped in the carseat. Kayla went up to her and said, "Baby no cry!" and George showed her how to rock the carseat gently back and forth... Kayla kept rocking that carseat until we said, "Okay, say bye bye to Mei Mei ("little sister" in Chinese)" and Kayla got all upset. I think she may have even said, "Baby no go!" or something like that. Kayla seemed more sad that Jocelyn was leaving than George and I leaving her behind. According to Ah-Gong, Kayla didn't cry for too long and was easily re-directed to some other goofy activity or another. When we got home, Ah-Gong was feeding Kayla lunch. Jocelyn had fallen asleep (again) in her carseat but as we walked in, we heard Kayla shout in a sing-song voice, "Baby home!" I still don't think she gets the concept that this "baby" is here permanently, or that Jocelyn is not a toy. Sometimes Kayla gets a bit mixed up and called Jocelyn "baby doll"!
Jocelyn's first night home was a bit rough. Every time I finished nursing her, she seemed to be passed out cold, so I'd swaddle her back up and put her in the co-sleeper bassinet next to our bed. Ten or fifteen minutes later, just as I was out cold, she'd wake up crying. Last night was a bit more of the same but by 3 am I decided she definitely wasn't supposed to be hungry anymore so once she fell asleep, I put her in her carseat... where she slept for 3 hours straight and probably would have gone even longer had I not woken her up to nurse. I just woke her up from a nap that she took in the carseat. I think this carseat is going to be a huge sanity-saver this week! Hopefully little Jocelyn will take to sleeping in her bassinet soon and won't mind not being held all the time. :)
Since she is such a pipsqueak (can anyone think of other words to describe a little baby? We used Pipsqueak and Peanut with Kayla when she was born, what's smaller than a peanut??), Jocelyn will go back to the pediatrician on Wednesday for a weight check. When we were there on Monday, I saw a nurse who is also a certified lactation consultant (breastfeeding a newborn is not as "natural" as one would think!) and when she came into the examination room, she made a comment like, "So after everything we put you through on Friday, you went and had the baby!" Now, I didn't see this nurse at all on Friday so I am wondering just exactly what all the doctors and nurses are saying about me!! I made George check us in on Monday since it was the same lady at the front desk who gave me a hard time on Friday. I may be going to the doctor's office by myself tomorrow... If that same receptionist is there, should I just pretend nothing happened?!
ahhhhhhh that is so cute!!!! kayla is so cute! you can just call jocelyn a sweetpea. :) i will bestow my own personal name for her.
ReplyDelete