Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lion King 3D

On Saturday, we decided to take the girls to their first movie. With Lion King being such a classic Disney movie, we couldn't pass up seeing it in the theater. We hadn't planned on seeing the 3D version but it actually turned out to be lots of fun. First of all, getting Jocelyn to sit in one of the huge theater seats was comical. She kept sliding further and further down the seat, and whenever I tried to get her to scoot back up, the bottom seat cushion kept flipping up and folding Jocie into a V. It didn't bother her, but it bothered me enough to go get one of those booster seat wedges that they provide in the theater. She still slid down a few times but at least the seat cushion didn't keep springing up.

Neither George or I have ever seen a 3D movie in the theaters, so we didn't realize that the previews were also in 3D. We were all wearing our glasses when a silly Kia commercial with dancing robots and giant hamsters came on. Jocie was a little frightened and started whining. (She ended up clinging to my arm for the next 15 minutes.) Kayla was cracking up at the commercial.

In the opening scene of Lion King, Zazu the bird is flying toward Pride Rock. Zazu was 3D and Kayla likes to say that "I saw a bird flying in the theater, and then he flew into Lion King." Throughout the movie, Jocie and Kayla were pushing their glasses down and then peeking over the rims and then pushing the glasses back up to watch. Eventually Jocelyn got more comfortable and sat in her own seat. She didn't even cry during the scary Scar scenes. When the movie ended, she was so overstimulated and excited. She kept saying, "Fun! I like it!" while jumping up and down. At dinner, she told us, "Lion King all done, clap. Fun! I like it!"

Jocelyn had Show and Tell today at school. I put her 3D glasses in a ziploc bag and had every intention of putting a little note in it to explain that we saw Lion King 3D on Saturday. However, we were running late this morning and I had to rush to work and didn't get around to putting the note in the bag. At the end of the day, I picked up Jocelyn and she brought her glasses back home. I asked her if she showed her friends the glasses. She said, "Yeah," stood in the middle of the van, and mimicked how she held up the ziploc baggie with extended arms to show the glasses to her classmates, who were sitting in a circle. Then I asked Jocie if she told her friends about the glasses. She shook her head, "No." I asked if she talked about Lion King. Again, "No."

"Did you say anything to your friends, Jocie?" I asked her.

"No."

I wonder what the kids were thinking as Jocelyn walked around the circle, holding up her glasses in the ziploc bag?!

Kayla's show and tell day is tomorrow. I have a little more confidence that she will be able to articulate what the 3D glasses are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment