Sunday, March 27, 2011

Jocelyn's 2nd Birthday!

I am so late in posting pictures of Jocelyn's 2nd birthday. Better late than never, right?? I could adjust the posting date to *look* like I posted this a few days after her birthday but that would be cheating!

We were fortunate enough to be able to have Ai-yi come down to help celebrate Jocelyn's birthday. Ai-yi played an essential piece to planning the big she-bang, as she helped me tint icing, tried to "steer" me in the right direction with placing Blue's outline on the cake and did a wonderful job with the decorations. As you can see from the cake, I didn't exactly do a good job following directions on where to place Blue's outline, as she isn't really *quite* centered vertically on the cake (I blame it on the nerves)! All in all, not too bad for my first attempt at a character cake.

IMG_1240

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it was a vanilla and chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling and buttercream icing. (Can you see the chocolate crumbs in the icing? Still can't figure out how to avoid that, even though I did a crumb coat and let it sit in the fridge overnight!) Yay for the piping skills I learned in my Wilton cake decorating class with my friend the cake decorator/party planner extraordinaire!
(Now I want some chocolate cake.)

Now for the lovely decorations (a clue, a clue!):
IMG_1300 IMG_1301 IMG_1303

The anticipation of cake was too much. But first, the kids had to make "happy plates" (what Kayla's preschool calls an empty plate at lunchtime). Here's George's take on making a happy plate:

IMG_1195 IMG_1198 IMG_1224 IMG_1226

Jocelyn seems puzzled by the cake, while Kayla couldn't keep her paws off of it:
IMG_1231 IMG_1232

Finally, we all dug in:

IMG_1251 IMG_1252

I'm not too sure why there aren't any messy-face-covered-with-cake pictures. Maybe we were too busy eating it.

Then cards and presents from Aiyi, Ah-ma/Ah-Gong and Mommy/Daddy:
IMG_1263 IMG_1270 IMG_1296 IMG_1261

Family pictures. Yay!

IMG_1234 IMG_1237


The next day, Kristie so kindly met us at the mall to drop off presents from her and Jo Jo (who couldn't make it to the party because he was sick). Jocelyn got a beautiful Janie & Jack outfit, which we tried to put on her for Valentine's Day but the skirt kept slipping off her butt, so we'll try it again when she's a little bigger (THANKS KRISTIE)!
IMG_1315 IMG_1316


Jojo got Jocelyn a bear that talks when you read a special book. It took a few tries but we've got it figured out now (THANKS JOJO)!

IMG_1318 IMG_1327
And yes, that is Kayla saying, "Hey, that's the same frog card Aiyi got for Jocelyn!

Since Jocelyn's birthday was on a Sunday, I made Blue's Clues cupcakes to share with her day care friends on Monday. I had found cupcake directions on nickjr.com and although my cupcake toppers weren't nearly as smooth and pretty-looking as I had wished, Jocelyn and Kayla were excited. (The kids at day care, on the other hand, could care less about what was on top of the cupcake. They did, however, all devour the cake part.) There were extra cupcakes, so we ate the rest at home that week.


IMG_1329 IMG_1331 IMG_1330 IMG_1336 IMG_1335 IMG_1341 IMG_1353 IMG_1366 IMG_1354 IMG_1358


Yummy, good times. Now I really wish I had some cake to eat right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment