Monday, July 26, 2010

Road trip to Michigan, part II

After hanging out at "Daddy's school," we headed to George's friends', Brent and Heather. They have three very lovely children, ages 2 to 9, the oldest a girl and two younger boys. Travis graciously sacrificed his room so we could crash there over night. By the time we got to their house, Kayla was already in a deep sleep, so George carried her upstairs and set her on the floor... where she slept soundly all afternoon! After catching up with Brent and Heather for a bit, George, Jocelyn and I tried to sleep too. Okay, who am I kidding? Jocelyn and I slept. Kayla woke up needing a diaper change and George was the lucky one who woke up and changed her diaper and then took her back downstairs to play with the kids. What can I say? I love and need my sleep.

Kayla clicked instantly with Emily, Travis and Tate. Perhaps it was because Heather was such a wonderful hostess and made sure our tummies were full all day long. Or, it could have been the moon bounce that Brent pulled out of storage for the kids.
IMG_0180
It's fun, even when it's deflated!


When Jocelyn and I finally woke up from our afternoon naps, Kayla was playing full force with the big kids. Jocelyn soon joined them. Tate really loved playing with Kayla and Jocelyn. (Watch out, ladies!)
IMG_0133 IMG_0125 IMG_0129 IMG_0127 IMG_0142


It was as if Jocelyn had an a-ha moment that day and realized she could do a lot of things by herself. Heather marinated some chicken for dinner and Brent grilled it up perfectly. She got all the kids' plates ready, lined up in a row, assembly-style and had chicken cut up in bite-sized pieces for the kids. Travis and Emily helped bring the food out to the Little Tikes picnic table outside in the backyard. All five kids happily ate their dinner there, including Jocelyn, who didn't even make a peep about needing help with her dinner. She loved using a toddler fork all by herself and ate up ALL of the chicken with zero adult assistance. Kayla took maybe three bites of chicken and 5 bites of corn and then took off playing again. (I did mention that Heather made sure we had lots of snacks that afternoon, didn't I?) Jocelyn might have been one of the last kids sitting at the table, quietly finishing up her dinner.
IMG_0150 IMG_0159 IMG_0162 IMG_0151


After playing some more, Heather whipped out some brownies and ice cream for dessert. The kids (and adults) were in heaven.
IMG_0166 IMG_0168

Especially Jocelyn.
IMG_0164 IMG_0170 IMG_0172 IMG_0173 IMG_0174 IMG_0175


Mmmmm, it was definitely the perfect way to end the evening. Thanks, Brent and Heather, for being such wonderful hosts! We only regret that we weren't able to return the favor during your road trip - but that just means you'll have to find a reason to come out this way next summer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment